This entry is part of my ‘Checklist For Success‘ series

Should you be trying to make money online? Is this the right business for you?

Is it really possible?
Absolutely. I do it, in fact. I don’t have another job, and I do quite well, by my standards. You can earn a nice income, some of you can probably become very wealthy.

Can anyone do it?
Absolutely not. It isn’t for everyone. I’m not at all trying to make the ‘making money online’ community some kind of exclusive club, in fact I have realized that many businesses out there aren’t for me. I tried sales for a few years, and it really didn’t work out for me at all! I was barely able to get by. It wasn’t a good fit for me. This business is!

Each business takes unique talents and abilities; mine are well suited for making money with the internet, and yours might be as well. However, you might be well-suited for sales, management, to be a personal trainer, to invent new products, or for some other profession.

The last thing I want to do is discourage anyone. I simply want each of you to realize what qualities you will need to have (or develop) to make it. During this entry, I’m going to ask you some tough questions. Be honest with yourself! If you can honestly answer ‘yes’ to most of these, this business might be a good fit for you.

  • Are you self-motivated? In this business you are on your own. Can you work without supervision? Can you produce without encouragement?
  • Can you write? When I ask this question to people I mentor in person, they usually chuckle a little. Most people aren’t very confident about their writing skills. If you’re writing skills aren’t the best, are you willing to learn? If you aren’t willing, close this browser right now! This isn’t the business for you. You don’t need to be an award-winning author, but you will have to learn how to convey a message to your readers.
  • Do you know anything about the web? Are you willing to learn? Many people who start in the business have no intention of learning anything about html/css, publishing, search engines, css, pings, tags, or anything else. Do you know what this stuff is? Are you willing to learn it? I can help you here, but you need to be willing to learn. You will never need to be an expert with these concepts, but you do need to be able to learn some of it.
  • Can you learn on your own? If you don’t understand something, will you read about it? Will you search for the answer? Will you search until you find it? Everyone I have ever met who has found success in this business has been willing to learn on their own. I can help you with almost everything you need to learn, but you also need to develop your own problem solving skills.
  • Can you adapt? The internet is always changing. Those who find success can adapt to those changes.
  • Do you have something to offer? You need knowledge about something to make it! In order for you to find success, you will need to become an expert about something! What do you know a lot about? What do you read about? I think you could make it with almost anything if you learned enough about it.
  • Can you overcome fear? You’re going to have to! Learning something new can be scary. Being in the public eye can be terrifying. Can you overcome it?

Hopefully this has given you some perspective. If you can honestly answer yes to these questions, I think you’re a good fit for the business.